SEO. Everybody wants to get good at it. Nobody can stop wishing to know more of it. No matter how optimized your site is for the search engines, you need to keep innovating and finding new ways to dominate the rankings. You can always pay for your traffic, but that doesn't mean you should give up on your organic efforts. There are thousands of people who make a lot of money by owning well-optimized websites, and they are not doing anything magical.
To have a well-optimized website for Google, you need to pay attention to on-page and off-page factors. By adopting a multi-faceted strategy, you can reduce your risks and give yourself a better chance to rank well on top search services.
- Title tag: your title tag is the most important tag on your page. Don't forget to use your top keywords here.
- Header: header elements are also considered very important by search-engines. Your phrases should be included here as well.
- Incoming Anchor Text: if you are building links, you should ask your partners to include your top words in the anchor texts of those links. That way engines rank you higher for those terms (depending on the quality of your partners).
- Link Quality: it's not about quantity. Your quality partners are more important and can determine where your rank.
- Age of Site: the older your domain, the better chance you have of getting out of Google's sandbox faster.
- Internal structure: not only you should get others to link to you, you should also link to your own pages. Use the right anchor texts to help sites such as Google figure out why you pages are important.
- Content body: you should use your top words on your pages. Your keyword density should be anywhere between 3-5%.
- Server Status: if your server goes down and stays down for a long time, Google and other engines may penalize you, so invest in a good hosting to avoid this issue.
- New Media: social networking, social bookmarking, and video content are all great ways to get ranked high on search sites these days. That may change, but if you want to create fresh, killer content, make sure you use the social media to go viral.
There is no SEO magic bullet. It takes a lot of hard work and a real strategy to succeed. The above steps should be the basic part of your overall strategy, and they put you on the right track, but they shouldn't be all you focus on.